Hi, I’m Mike. Welcome to Oxford Online English.
大师好,我是迈克。接待收看牛津在线英语视频课程。
In this lesson, you can learn how to write an email in English.
Do you need to write emails at work?
这节课你可以进修若何写英语邮件。你事情时必要写邮件吗?
Are you worried that your emails aren’t clear, or that you make mistakes in English?
In this lesson, you can see how to write clear, natural-sounding emails easily and quickly.
你是不是担忧用英语邮件写得不清晰,或出错误?
这节课你可以进修若何简略快捷地写出内容清楚、表达天然的邮件。
We’ll show you how to write an email in English from beginning to end, in simple, clear steps that you can follow right now! Let’s start at the beginning.
如今咱们就从头至尾地向你展现若何经由过程简略了了的几个步调写出一封英语邮件。
咱们先讲授邮件开首。
With emails, you can start like a letter. For example: “Dear Lina,”, “Dear Sir/Madam,” or “Dear Mr Hill,”.
写邮件你可以像写信同样开首。比方:“亲爱的丽娜,”,“尊重的师长教师/密斯,”或“尊重的希尔师长教师,”。
However, emails are generally much less formal than letters.
Use a greeting with “dear” only if you’re writing something formal.
不外,凡是来讲邮件要远没有信件正式。只有你写比力正式的内容时才用 Dear 来问候。
So, what else can you use? Many emails start with “hello”, or “hi” plus the person’s name.
那末你还可以用甚么?很多邮件开首用 hello 或 hi 加之人名。
For example: “Hello,” or “Hi Ryan,”.
In many business emails, you’ll follow the greeting with something like: “I hope you’re well.” or “How are you?”
比方:“你好,”或“你好瑞恩,”。
很多商务邮件会在问候以后加之:“但愿你一切都好。”或“你好啊。”
In business emails, these are simply polite phrases, and they don’t generally need an answer.
For more informal emails, you can start with just the word “hi” or “hey”, plus a co妹妹a.
商务邮件中,这些只是简略的礼貌用语,凡是不必要回应。
更不正式的邮件可以开首只写 hi 或 hey, 再加之个逗号。
You can also just write the person’s name plus a co妹妹a.
This is a more professional style, even though it’s more informal.
你也能够只写下人名再加之个逗号。比拟下这类方法更专业点,即使也更不正式。
It’s best with people you already know. For a very informal email, you might not need a greeting at all.
最佳是用在你已熟悉的人的邮件中。很是不正式的邮件你可能彻底不必要问候了。
This is also true if you’re sending several emails to the same person in a short time.
You don’t need to write a greeting every time.
若是你在短期内向统一小我发送多封邮件也一样是如斯。
你不必要每次都写问候语。
Let’s review quickly.
For very formal emails, use a greeting with dear plus a name, like a letter.
咱们快速温习一下吧。
很是正式的邮件要像信件那样利用问候语,即 dear 加之名字。
For most everyday emails, use either hello or hi plus a name.
For less formal emails, use hi or hey without a name, or don’t use a greeting at all.
大大都平常邮件则用 hello 或 hi 加之名字。
不太正式的邮件用 hi 或 hey 不加名字,或彻底不消问候语了。
Okay, but what next? After your greeting, you should explain why you’re writing.
好了,不外接下来呢?问候完你理当诠释写邮件的缘由。
Make this as short as possible. If you’re writing to someone who receives hundreds of emails every day, you need to make your purpose clear quickly.
这部门尽量简短。若是你写信的工具天天要收到好几百封邮件,你必要快速诠释写邮件的目标。
Someone who’s very busy won’t spend a lot of time trying to work out what you’re trying to say!
How can you do this?
如果很忙的话,那人不会花几多时候去弄清你想表达甚么的。
你怎样写这段呢?
Start with a simple phrase, like: I’m writing regarding. . . I wanted to follow up on. . .
用简洁的措词开始,比方:我写这封邮件是想谈谈……我想谈谈……的后续。
Or: I would like to ask about. . . These phrases are slightly more formal.
又如:我想问问……这些措词略微正式些。
Let’s see how you could use them: I’m writing regarding the issues we’ve been having with our database system.
I wanted to follow up on our meeting last week and confirm our plans for this month.
看一看你若何来应用:我写这封邮件是想谈谈咱们在数据库体系上碰到的问题。
我想谈谈上周集会的后续事情,确认一下本月的规划。
I would like to ask about the new budget and whether this will affect our department.
In a
more informal email, you wouldn’t use a phrase like this.
我想问问有关新预算的问题,这是不是会影响到咱们部分。
不太正式的邮件中则不消这种措词。
You might ask a more direct question or make a direct statement, like this: do you know when the database issues will be fixed?
Let’s confirm our plans for this month.
你或许更直接地发问或报告,比方:你晓得数据库的问题何时能解决吗?咱们来确认下本月的规划吧。
Or: how will the new budget affect our department?
If you’re writing because you want to find a solution to a problem, here are some useful phrases: “I’m concerned about. . .” or “I need to bring something to your attention.”
又如:新预算对咱们部分会有甚么样的影响?
若是由于你想找到问题的解决法子才写邮件,那末这里有些适用用语:“我很关切……”或“我但愿你能注重到某事。”
Again, these are more formal phrases.
Let’s see how you can use them: I’m concerned about the number of sick days staff have been taking recently.
一样这些都是比力正式的用语。
看看你怎样应用:我很关切员工近来休了几多病假。
I need to bring something
to your attention: using outdated software puts us at risk of malware infections and data loss. Now it’s your turn.
我但愿你能注重到:利用过期软件咱们会冒着歹意软件传染和数据丢失的危害。如今轮到你了。
Imagine that you’re writing an email to your manager, colleague, or client.
You need to write an appropriate greeting, then write one or two sentences to explain why you’re writing.
想象下你在给司理、同事或客户写邮件。
你必要写下符合的问候语,然后用一两句话诠释写邮件的缘由。
Pause the video and do it now! Start again when you’ve finished.
暂停视频,如今就写吧!写好了再继续旁观。
Ready? Let’s move on.
筹备好了吗?咱们继续吧。
After you introduce why you’re writing, you need to add more details and supporting information, so that your reader understands the situation you’re describing.
Put this information in a new paragraph.
先容完写邮件的缘由后,你必要诠释更多的细节和辅助信息,如许收件人可以大白你描写的环境。这些信息写在新的一段。
This will make your email clear and easy to follow.
First, ask yourself what the person you’re writing to needs to know.
如许你的邮件就清楚易读了。起首,先自问收件人必要晓得甚么。
With emails, less is more.
No one wants to read a very long email, and it’s hard to make yourself clear if you write too much.
对付邮件来讲,简便即是美。
没人想读封冗杂的邮件,若是你写得太多就很难表达清晰。
So, try to limit yourself to two to three sentences. Put your most important point first.
以是试着限定本身只写两到三句话吧。先摆出你最首要的概念。
Let’s look at some examples: I’m writing regarding the issues we’ve been having with our database.
看看一些例子:我写邮件是想谈谈数据库方面碰到的问题。
Both clients and staff have been experiencing severe problems for several days now.
We are unable to update records or access information on customer interactions.
客户和员工这几天遭碰到了很紧张的问题。咱们无法更新记实,也无法获得客户互动信息。
This is costing us large amounts of money, both in time spent trying to fix the problem, and in lost sales. Here’s one more: I’m concerned about the number of sick days staff have been taking recently.
这致使咱们在修复问题上花了很多时候,也丧失了很多贩卖额,因此丧失大量款项。另有个例子:我很关切近来员工请了几多假。
Staff in the IT department have taken a total of 44 sick days so far this month, compared to a total of 23 for last month, and just 18 for the previous month.
This is affecting productivity, and also placing a lot of stress on the employees who do come to work.
IT部分员工这个月今朝已请了一共44天的病假,上个月总计23天,上上个月才18天。这影响了出产效力,也对那些上班的员工造成为了不小的压力。
In both cases, you’re writing to describe a problem.
Your first sentence introduces the problem, and then your next paragraph gives more details.
两例都是你写邮件描写问题。第一句话先容问题,然后下一段中给出细节。
You can see that in both examples, we use just two sentences, but you can include a lot of useful information in two sentences.
If you have more than one point to make in your email, you can repeat this pattern: first put a short sentence to introduce your point, then add a paragraph with two to three sentences to add details.
你可以看到两个样例都是如斯,咱们只用了两句话,却能包括不少有效信息。若是邮件中你要表达不止一个概念,你可以反复如下模式:先用一句简短的话语先容概念,然后另起一段,用两三句话来弥补细节。
You can move from one point to another using a phrase like: there’s one more thing I’d like to discuss with you. Regarding. . .
概念的转换可以用如下措词:另有一件事我想和你谈谈。关于……
Or: I’d also like to ask you about. . . Use one of these phrases to change the topic, and then introduce your next point.
又如:我想问问你……用此中一种措词来切换话题,然后再先容下一概念。
For example: there’s one more thing I’d like to discuss with you.
It seems like the number of customer complaints has been increasing for three months. . .
比方:另有一件事我想和你谈谈。彷佛三个月来客户的投诉量在不竭上升……
Now, you can practice. Take the email you started before.
如今你可以操练了。就用你以前开始的邮件。
Add a new paragraph, which should be two to three sentences long.
Add details to the point you introduced before.
添加新的一段,应当两到三句话长。为你此前先容过的概念弥补细节。
Pause the video and do it now. If you want extra practice, add another topic to your email, using one of the linking phrases you just saw.
暂停视频,如今就写吧。若是你想分外再做操练,利用一种你适才学到的毗连措词,为邮件再添加一个话题吧。
After you explain all the points you want to make, what should you do next?
When you write an email, you should make it clear what you expect from the person you’re sending it to.
你诠释了所有想要表达的概念,下一步你应当做甚么?
写邮件时你理当很清晰本身对收件人有着甚么等待。
Even if you’re writing just to give the other person some information, it’s a good idea to make that clear. Put your call to action in a new paragraph.
即使你只是为了给别人供给一些信息才写的邮件,也最佳搞清上述问题。新开一段写你请求举措。
Again, putting each thing in its own paragraph makes your email structured and easy to follow.
So, what can you write here?
重申一次,各类内容分段落表达,如许你的邮件就颇有层次,轻易浏览。
那末这段你可以怎样写?
First, let’s consider situations where you need the other person to do something urgently.
You could say: please. . . by tomorrow at the latest.
起首,咱们思虑一下你必要别人做某事比力告急的环境。你可以说:请最迟来日诰日做……
As a matter of urgency, you need to. . . For example: please arrange a meeting of all department heads by tomorrow at the latest.
当务之急是你必要……比方:请最迟来日诰日放置所有部分卖力人开一次会。
As a matter of urgency, you need to contact all the clients who may have been affected by this data breach.
If your request is less urgent, you could use phrases such as: could you please. . . ?
当务之急是你必要和可能受数据泄漏影响的所有客户接洽一下。
若是你的哀求没那末告急,你可以用以下措词:能请你……?
I would like you to. . . For example: could you please talk to Matt in the HR department and clarify our options on this?
我但愿你能……比方:能请你和人事部的马特谈谈,澄清咱们在此事上的选择吗?
I would like you to design a poster to inform staff about the new policies. With calls to action, you should think about your relationship with the person you’re writing to.
我但愿你能设计一款海报,告诉员工新政策的有关信息。你若是要请求举措,理当想一想本身和收件人的瓜葛。
For example, saying something like, “You need to. . .” or “I would like you to. . .” is relatively direct.
That’s fine if you’re a manager writing to one of your team, but it might sound inappropriate if you write that to your manager.
比方,写“你必要……”或“我但愿你能……”是相对于而言更直接的。
若是你是司理,写给团队一员,那样没甚么问题,不外若是是你写给司理,那样听起来不大符合。
This also depends on the corporate culture where you work.
Generally, if you aren’t sure, it’s better to be less direct.
这也取决于你事情单元的企业文化。
凡是来讲,若是你不肯定,最佳仍是婉转些。
For example: I suggest that you contact all clients who may have been affected by the data breach.
Can I ask you to design a poster to inform staff about the new policies?
比方:我建议你可以接洽下可能受数据泄漏影响的所有客户。我可以请你设计一款海陈述知员工新政策的相干信息吗?
But, be careful! Don’t be so indirect that the other person doesn’t understand what you need.
不外,要把稳!不要太婉转了,致使其别人不大白你必要甚么。
If you don’t need a response from the other person, say something like: this is just to keep you updated.
This doesn’t require any i妹妹ediate response, but please keep an eye on the situation.
若是不必要别人复兴,可以这么说:写这封邮件只是为了奉告你最新动静。
如许不请求对方当即复兴,但请对方存眷环境。
Now, it’s your turn! Pause the video and add a call to action to the end of your email.
如今轮到你了!暂停视频,在邮件末端添写请求举措。
Think about who you’re writing to, and make your call-to-action appropriately direct or indirect.
So, now you’re nearly finished.
思虑一下你要写给谁,你请求对方举措的表述不管直接或婉转都应得当。
如今邮件你差未几要写完了。
What’s left? Finish your email with a sign-off and your name.
还剩下甚么?邮件最后写竣事语和姓名扫尾。
You can use a lot of the same sign-offs you can use in a paper letter, such as: “Regards,”, “Best Wishes,” or “Kind Regards,”. Like with greetings, you wouldn’t generally use very formal sign-offs like “Yours Sincerely” in an email.
你可以用很多和纸质手札同样的竣事语,比方:“此致敬礼,”,“祝好,”或“谨致问候,”。
和问候语同样,你凡是不会在邮件里用“谨启”这种很是正式的竣事语。
You might see it sometimes, but only in very formal emails.
Don’t forget to write each word of your sign-off with a capital letter, and put a co妹妹a at the end.
你可能有时见到过,不外这只会呈现在很是正式的邮件中。
不要健忘竣事语每一个词首字母都要大写,最后还要加之逗号。
The sign-offs you’ve just seen are neutral and can be used in almost any situation.
If you’re writing something more informal, you might use a sign-off like: “Cheers,” or “Take care,”.
你适才见到的竣事语都比力中性,可以用在绝大大都场所。
若是你写的内容不那末正式,你可以写以下的竣事语:“再会,”或“珍重,”。
In this case, you wouldn’t capitalise each word, which is why care in “Take care” has a small “c”. Like with greetings, you might not need a sign-off in an informal email.
这类环境下,你不消每一个词都大写首字母,以是 Take care 中 care 的 c 是小写的。和问候语同样,非正式邮件中可以不必要竣事语。
Just write your name at the bottom, or don’t write anything at all! After you put your sign-off, add your name, and you’ve finished!
只需在底部写上名字,或甚么都不写!写上竣事语,加之名字,邮件就写完了!
For example: “Regards, Vijay”, “Cheers, Katya”. Now you know how to write a clear, effective email in English.
比方:“此致敬礼,维贾伊”,“再会,卡迪娅”。如今你学会了若何写一封内容清楚,结果不错的英语邮件了。
Let’s put everything you’ve learned together.
To write an effective email in English, you need to: 1. Use an appropriate greeting.
咱们来把学过的所有内容汇总一下。写一封结果不错的英语邮件,你必要:一,利用符合的问候语。
2. Introduce your topic in a single sentence.
3. Add details to your topic in a short paragraph.
2,一句话先容你的话题。
3,一小段为话题增加细节。
4. Add a call-to-action to explain what you need the other person to do. 5. Use an appropriate sign-off.
4,请求举措,诠释你必要别人做甚么。
5,利用符合的竣事语。
Let’s do a longer example together: Dear Lina, I need to bring something to your attention: many staff are using very weak passwords on their laptops and for database access.
Our work depends on keeping our clients’ personal financial information safe.
咱们来举个长一点的例子:亲爱的丽娜,我但愿你能注重到:很多员工在条记本上登岸数据库用的暗码太简略。
咱们的事情取决于可否包管客户的小我财政信息平安。
If we lose our clients’ trust on this issue, it will not be easy to recover.
I trust that you can see that it is better to take action now, rather than after something goes wrong.
若是咱们落空客户在这件事上的信赖,就很难补充了。
我信赖你能大白不是失事以后而是如今就采纳举措。
I suggest we make a rule that passwords must be a specific length, and that staff must change their passwords at least once a month.
Please let me know what you think about this.
我建议咱们制定例则,请求暗码必需到达特定长度,并且员工必需每个月改换暗码最少一次。
你对此有何见解请复兴。
Regards, Vijay What do you think: could you write an email like this?
此致敬礼,维贾伊 你有甚么见解:你能写出如许的邮件吗?
Try it! Use words and phrases from the lesson.
试一试!用这节课学的辞汇和措词。
Remember to organise your email into paragraphs, like we showed you.
This will make it easier to keep your ideas structured and clear.
记着邮件分段组织说话,仿照咱们给你展现的例子。
如许既有层次又清楚地表述概念就加倍轻易了。
For more free English lessons check out our website: Oxford Online English. com
Thanks for watching!